The Wedding Guest

This is a 2019 movie, written and directed by Michael Winterbottom, and starring Dev Patel and Radhika Apte.  My quick take: interesting but disappointing.

What I liked: Well shot, it immerses you into the streets and sounds of the Indian sub-continent.  It has good performances and a beautiful background score.

What I didn’t like: The way it has been written.  It sets you up to expect a fast paced thriller.  Then half-way through, it switches into a gently paced, romantic road movie that has a superficial connection to the first half.  What I found especially maddening is that in the first half- an excellent first half, I must add- it gets into minute details that you would only expect from a thriller.  And that attention to detail eventually adds up to nothing, which made me wonder what was the point of it all.