The Sound of Silence (2019)

This movie is centered around an unusual lead character- a ‘house tuner’.  From what I could gather, he helps individuals to have a more restful existence by harmonizing the sounds in their houses.  My quick take on the movie: interesting but unsatisfying.

What I liked about it: Apart from the intrigue surrounding the lead character, I thought it was a well shot movie.  But most of all, what held my attention were the performances by the leads- Peter Sarsgaard and Rashida Jones.

What I didn’t like: After setting up the lead characters as individuals I cared about, I couldn’t relate to the direction that the story eventually took.  If I were to look deeper, this movie began life as a 17 minute short film, which it intended to build upon.  Yet the most interesting parts of its story are arguably those that were fleshed out directly taken from the source material.  It seemed to me that either the writer (or the director) didn’t know what to do with the characters, or didn’t care enough.

Still, to anyone with an open mind, I would suggest checking it out.  It’s definitely a lot better than its IMDb rating suggests.  The first twenty minutes or so are absolutely worth it and, who knows, you might like the remainder of the movie more than I did.  Movie buffs might find it worthwhile to compare it with the original short movie.

Here’s a link to the trailer.