Unusual Ways to Quit Smoking

As shared by readers of The Guardian:

I smoked for 40 years and decided the best way to quit was to get new teeth. So, I invested £3,500 (in Budapest – it’s even more expensive in the UK) to have 26 crowns replace my smoke-inflicted teeth. I haven’t smoked in the four years since and my teeth look amazing.

Pete, hospitality worker, Leith

After decades of unsuccessful attempts at quitting my smoking habit of up to 20 a day, I took up painting pebbles. The idea was that, if I had a paint brush in my hand, I couldn’t hold a cigarette. It proved to be phenomenally successful and very therapeutic. It took about three days for the nicotine cravings to subside and I haven’t smoked a single cigarette in more than three years. I treat myself often with the money I save from not buying cigarettes – and my painting hobby has progressed to painting on canvas, too.

Elaine, retired, Greece

I had a 40-a-day habit that I started aged 15. Here are my tips for quitting. 1) Recognise the triggers that make you want to smoke and know they will pass within two minutes. (One of my biggest triggers was opening the car window, as I used to open it to flick the ash out.) 2) If you are really gagging for a cigarette, take a shower – there will be no trigger there, as it’s impossible to smoke in the shower. 3) Relaxing massages help. I managed to stop smoking on my first try, aged 46.

Andrew, graphic designer, Peak District