The Personal History of David Copperfield (2019)

MOVIE REVIEW

The Personal History of David CopperfieldThis is a joyous imagining of the Dickens classic that spotlights its less-talked-about humour, layers it with more, and adds a bit of tasteful theatricality and lots of colour.

For those who have read the book, the very first scene of the movie gives you a sense of what to expect, with a tongue-in-cheek depiction of the protagonist presenting observations surrounding his birth.  To be clear, you don’t need to have read the book to enjoy the movie but it’ll be a lot more fun for those who remember the characters and the lines.

That is made all the more delightful, thanks to a glorious ensemble cast that gives wonderful performances all around.  Dev Patel is terrific in the lead but for my money, Peter Capaldi (as Mr. Micawber) is the standout.

It’s hard for me to find fault with anything that director and co-writer Armando Iannucci has ever written or directed but going into this, I admit that I wasn’t sure of what to expect.  I’ve unashamedly relished his razor sharp wit and I couldn’t see room for that in this.  I shouldn’t have had any doubts: it’s an outstanding movie.

Link to trailer