RIP Tim Curry
From his very quotable memoir:
By all accounts (mathematically confirmed), I was conceived in South Africa, which bears no relevance to my life other than to add to the tally of countries my parents referred to as “home.”
Wickedness, it seems, comes naturally to me. Or, at least, others evidently see it as a trait I’m capable of accessing and reflecting in front of an audience.
I suppose it’s a compliment, albeit a slightly alarming one, when a big-time director is considering “Who should play the devil?” and your name instantly springs to mind as being a natural for the role.
I knew I would be climbing volcanos while filming [Congo] yet was still resolutely smoking two packs of Marlboros a day. Which, you may be surprised to learn, doesn’t vibe terrifically well with climbing volcanos.
People have often contacted me for roles when they’re trying to figure out “Who the hell can play this?” or, more likely, “Who would want to?”
I’ve been turned away from auditions for being too terrifying. I never know how much of that is people making associations with other characters I’ve played, or if I just naturally have a more frightening demeanour than intended. I find either potential rather amusing, and quite a good indication that said role was never meant to be.
With David Suchet in Appointment With Death (Poirot S11E04)